Will I ever get out on the fields again????

Posted by lordspudz | | Posted On Friday 15 January 2010 at 19:29

The weather here has been awful and very 'anti detecting'.  I went out last just after New Year when the first batch of snow had disappeared but the temperatures were still in the minus figures. 
The ground which, before Christmas had been soft and easy to dig, had become more like concrete and it was nigh on impossible to break the surface let alone dig a hole!!  A mechanical digger not being one of my possessions, I had to make do with chipping away with my shovel until I'd got through the frozen top layer, which was up to 3 inches thick in places.  Needless to say, I didn't find much to speak of.
Eventually giving up. I drove round to the farmers yard to tell him I had a different car and not to come charging across the field, shotgun at the ready if he spotted it. 
During the conversation he asked if I'd found much and suggested I try the field he'd just finished harvesting sugar beet from.  Being 100 or so acres, it should keep me busy for a while.  I left him pleased that I'd taken the time to go to his yard as I now had a new field and one that wasn't stubble!!
Which brings me back to the weather.  I had planned to go out the following weekend but friday night saw a huge amount of snow dumped on the area which meant the fields would be covered in a layer of around 5 inches.
Fingers and toes crossed, I might get out this weekend.  I'm getting withdrawal symptoms and need to get some digging done real soon!!

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Will I ever get out on the fields again????

Post a Comment