Doris strikes SAXON!!!

Posted by lordspudz | | Posted On Thursday 21 January 2010 at 20:31

It's taken a while, but last Sunday Doris, (my Safari), finally struck Saxon in the shape of a cruciform brooch!
When I dug it out it looked like just another lump of unidentifiable metal we all find scattered over our fields, but after clearing away the surface mud I thought to myself..."crocodile."  "Crocodile?"
OK, it looked old, but Crocodile??  Maybe it was a toy of some kind or an ornament.  Puzzled, but quite pleased with the find, I carried on.
Back at home that evening I convinced myself it was a crocodile and maybe post medieval.

There was only one way to find out what it was.  I posted a picture on the Finds ID forum at www.detectorist.co.uk and within minutes I had a reply saying it wasn't a crocodile (silly me), but in fact a horse and, better still, was part of a Cruciform Brooch dating from the Saxon period!!  (That's somewhere between 410 and 800AD).

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Doris strikes SAXON!!!

Post a Comment