An 'odd' moment....

Posted by lordspudz | | Posted On Sunday 29 November 2009 at 20:31

There are times when, I have to admit it, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  If I was over 60, they'd call it a 'senior' moment, if I was blonde......well, you get the picture.
The reason for my brain burp?
I was out detecting the other day and hit a good, clear signal.  After digging a small hole I swept Doris, (please remember that Doris is my pet name for my detector not a lady friend whom I think is a broom), and the signal was still there indicating that the item was still in the hole.  I dug out another lump of earth and....the signal was gone!!
I swung Doris back and forth over the hole...but there was still no signal.  How could such a good signal just suddenly disappear??
Disgruntled, I filled in the hole, slung my shovel over my shoulder and carried on.  At the next signal I dug my hole and swept Doris again and, would you believe it, I got two signals!!
I looked behind me half expecting to see a clown jumping up and down laughing hysterically, or an alien mothership with a giant detector sucking up all manner of artefacts.  In my moment of paranoia, I stepped in the hole filling it in again.
Now, there was one signal again.  This was no longer funny.  I walked around the hole glancing at it with trepidation.  Should I just leave it and go to another field, or should I wave Doris over it again?  The latter conjured up an image of there suddenly being 3 signals and me running off into the distance screaming "they're coming for me!!!"
I took the brave option and started to walk away then, not wanting a silly hole and a phantom signal to get the better of me, I braced myself and pointed Doris in the direction of the hole.  Before she could speak her dulcet tones I spied a coin on the ground near where the hole had been.  A George II penny.  Must have come from the hole. 
No.
Doris perked up and told me there was something else there.  To be confused and afraid is not good at the best of times, to be so in the middle of a field surrounded by stubble is nothing short of a nightmare!
The other signal turned out to be a piece of lead and, after putting both items in my finds bag, I carried on searching with one eye on the soil and the other casting nervous glances over my shoulder.

Once back home, I tried to work out what had happened.  The only explanation I could come up with was the item of the first signal somehow got stuck to my shovel, got carried to the next signal where it fell off and into the hole I'd just dug.  Then, it must have got stuck to my boot when I stepped into the hole.
That's what I'd like to think.  There is a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that maybe I wasn't alone on that field.  Maybe someone, or something, was playing tricks on me.
If Doris knows, she's not saying.

Comments:

There are 0 comments for An 'odd' moment....

Post a Comment