Metal Detecting....what's that then?

Posted by lordspudz | Labels: , , , | Posted On Tuesday 22 September 2009 at 09:29

Metal detecting is the art, science, call it what you will, I consider it a hobby, of searching for metal based objects/artifacts lost or left by our predecessors which have become buried in the ground under our feet.
Detectorists, as we are known, search for these items using a device which can scan deep into the ground, sending signals back to the machine whenever it is passed over, 'detects', a metallic object; this can be anything from a rusty nail, a ring pull tab from a can, coins, jewellery, silver, gold, etc, etc.
Metal detectors are everywhere and come in various forms from the handheld devices used by venue staff and security officers who search people entering clubs, sports arenas, theatres and such places, to the walk-through arches situated at airports, courts etc.
The type of detector we use resembles a dinner plate attached to a stick which is 'swept' back and forth as low as possible over the ground. The 'plate' is in fact a coil attached to a control unit that sends out a pulse, much the same as a submarines sonar, which bounces back an audible signal if a metal object falls within the range of the pulse. The control unit then deciphers the returning signal and indicates to us, by way of tone, what type of metal it is.

That's the sciency bit done, what's my take on metal detecting?

I've been detecting for about 18 months after receiving a detector as a surprise present from the LOML, and class it purely as a hobby. I've always had an interest in history in particular what, and who, came before us and had heard of stories of detectorists unearthing interesting items that have been hidden in the ground for, in some cases, thousands of years.

Soon after receiving my detector and playing about on the beach for a while, I joined a local detecting club, of which I am now Vice Chairman (elect)/Secretary, and am amazed at the variety of artifacts that have been found in the fields around our little part of Norfolk. Getting land to detect on was to be a problem; which is the subject of another post.

Now I have gained permission to detect on some local land, I try to get out as much as work and time restraints allow and am beginning to build up a collection of finds other than rusty nails and pull tabs! As I mentioned, to me it is a hobby, a fascinating and sometimes rewarding one, which enables me to get out in the fresh air, wander around a field for a couple of hours immersed in 'my own little world' and maybe find a few things of interest; although I'm happy to find anything as it shows there were 'others' there before me who, unknowingly, may have left a memento for me to find a hundred, two hundred, five hundred or more, years later.

Comments:

There are 1 comments for Metal Detecting....what's that then?

Post a Comment